Saturday 30 April 2011

Creativity

Creativity is a funny subject to write about. It's really hard to put it down in words. I sit around thinking about how I'm being creative but trying to explain it is really hard.
I'll start off with my thoughts on creativity. Since the start of the course I've been trying to understand how I feel about creativity. I didn't really know so I looked at my pears and see if I could see how they approached being creative. What I found was there was allot of people Imagineering. This stood out to me as showing a very strong creative side to people. But knowing it was a weak point in my own abilities I felt behind creatively. As I got further into the course, I still struggled to imaginer but one thing I started to learn was that my talent was to create art that was taken from life. It's what I'm most interested in and thus I react better creatively to work produced like this. Creatively I like to spend my time looking at what make a specific object what it is. I believe this to be the most important part of being creative. Finding what pushes your buttons. I was very creative as I child and when I think back to those days I realise that I was creative as long as it what I was creating was something that made me happy. Or I felt was worthy of my time so at the end I had something I could be proud of.
To better understand creativity I started to do some research into it and see other views from different people. Generally there are 2 parts to being creative. thinking then producing. Creativity requires passion and commitment.
"Creativity is the process of bringing something new into being...creativity requires passion and commitment. Out of the creative act is born symbols and myths. It brings to our awareness what was previously hidden and points to new life. The experience is one of heightened consciousness-ecstasy."
- Rollo May, The Courage to Create
Does creativity require originality? If you take passion and commitment out of the equation then is anything created not worthy of creation and thus not creative. Does a song writer ever get board of writing songs? At the end of the day it still put food on the table. Could you tell if a writer felt this way in his work? I creativity does require passion and commitment then it should be easy to spot anything that has neither of those put into it.
My strongest work had all the passion and commitment I can give into anything I can produce. I hope after I finish next year I have something to be proud of as I intend to be as "creative" as possible.

No comments:

Post a Comment